Pagina opties

Groter

Watermolen

A medieval water mill

Molendijk

Near the castle, there used to be a path named Molendijk (mill-dam). The path led to a water mill at the Keersop river. The old plot name Meulenbroek (mill-brook) still reminds us of the existence of a water mill.
The invention of the water wheel is one of the great technical developments in the history of mankind. The hydropower generated mechanical energy. In the Kempen region people started using water mills around the twelfth century, for grinding grain for example. The earliest mention of the Bergeijk water mill dates back to 1331.

‘Banmolen’

In the Middle Ages, water mills were the property of local noble families or monasteries such as that of Postel. Farm tenants were forced to have their grain ground at the local mill, which is why these mills were dubbed banmolens (obligatory mills).

Water level, or Pegel

The miller pushed the water up not just to make sure he had enough water to keep the water wheel running, but to have the water hit the impeller at the highest possible point. As a result, low-lying land that was located upstream flooded regularly, which often led to squabbles with the farmers. Plots of land named Vlieke (little flood) and Kwade Vloet (evil flood) still remind us of those times.

In 1545, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V issued a ‘placard’ that stated the rules concerning the use of water and water mills. For every mill the maximum water level (pegel) was put down in writing. For example: “The pegel of the mill shall be set at two feet minus two thumbs above the water plate”. These restrictions made sure the next mill downstream received enough water to run as well, which in this case was the Westerhoven water mill.

The end of the mill

It’s assumed that the mill was destroyed by the Spaniards in the Eighty Year’s War, around 1592. During construction of the sewer system leading to the water treatment plant in Eindhoven in 1974, several finds pointing to the existence of a water mill were unearthed, including foundation piles and part of a millstone. A selection of these remains is now on display in the Eicha Museum in Bergeijk.

Detail Dommelse Molen

Un moulin a eau du moyen age

La digue du moulin

Près du château, il y avait jadis un chemin du nom de Molendijk (la digue du moulin).
Ce chemin menait au moulin à eau du Keersop.  De plus, l'ancien nom du terrain appelé 'Meulenbroek' (marais du moulin) rappelle l'existence d'un moulin à eau.
La découverte de la roue à aube fut une étape importante de l'évolution technique de l'humanité.
Grâce à la force hydraulique, on eut accès à l'énergie mécanique.  En Campine, aux environs du 12ème siècle, des moulins à eau commencèrent à être utilisés, entre autres pour moudre le grain.
En 1331, à Bergeijk, il en est fait mention pour la première fois.

Un moulin banal

Au Moyen Age, les moulins à eau étaient l'apanage de la noblesse locale ou des monastères comme l'abbaye de Postel.  Le métayer était obligé de faire moudre son grain au moulin local, c'est pourquoi on l'a appelé le moulin banal.

Le niveau de l'eau 'La Mesure'

Le meunier retenait l'eau, pas uniquement pour avoir assez d'eau pour faire tourner le moulin, mais aussi pour que l'eau puisse tomber de suffisamment haut sur l'aube de la roue.  Les basses terres en amont se trouvaient ainsi régulièrement inondées ; ce qui provoquait souvent des désaccords, voire des disputes, entre les paysans.  Le nom de certains terrains comme 'Vlieke' (l`inonde) et 'Kwade Vloet' (le mauvais flot) nous rappelle ces problèmes.

En 1545, l'empereur Charles Quint émit un arrêté dans lequel l'usage de l'eau et du moulin était prescrit.
Pour chaque moulin, la hauteur maximale de l'eau appelée 'pegel' (la mesure) y fut consignée.
En voici un exemple :'La mesure du moulin sera réglée sur deux pieds moins deux pouces au-dessus du niveau de l'eau.'  De cette manière le moulin suivant, en aval, avait, lui aussi, suffisamment d'eau.
Ici, au moulin de Westerhoven, cette règle était en application.

La fin du moulin

On suppose que vers 1592 le moulin fut détruit par les Espagnols pendant la Guerre de Quatre-Vingts Ans.  A Eindhoven, en 1974, au moment du raccord de l'égout principal à la station d'épuration des eaux, on découvrit certains éléments qui prouvent l'existence d'un moulin à eau sur le site.  On retrouva des piliers de fondation et un morceau de meule.  On peut en voir quelques restes au musée 'Eichamuseum' à Bergeijk.


 Voorbeeld van oude watermolen (Stipdonk)  Fragment van de hier gevonden molensteen